The Purple Pinup Guru Platform

When purple things are pulsating on your mind, I'm the one whose clock you want to clean. Aiding is Sparky, the Astral Plane Zen Pup Dog from his mountain stronghold on the Northernmost Island of the Happy Ninja Island chain, this blog will also act as a journal to my wacky antics at an entertainment company and the progress of my self published comic book, The Deposit Man which only appears when I damn well feel like it. Real Soon Now.

Tuesday, September 09, 2003

LATE NIGHT BLOG with CARY COATNEY

This is the new stuff- In this entry, I'm going to cover a lot of ground including my snooping around the movie lot hoping to get a glimpse of things I'm not supposed to be privy to, including the making of the Constantine and Catwoman movie that are currently going into production.

But first, Tuesdays are new releases day - in terms of DVDs and CDs and whatever have you. Taking a extra long lunch break at work today (after a continous marathon of putting in 23 hours of OT) I made the sojourn to the nearest Best Buy and looked over the new products that came in. A lot of television series box sets this week. Fox has released the intriguing taut serial thriller of the second season of 24, and the third season of Family Guy - which was magically disappearing before my very eyes. I saw a store associate stock the shelves twice in a span of fifteen minutes. Disney released a special edition of Sleeping Beauty, and Paramount is hoping that people get the message of the Core this time around as well as MGM with their not so well received adapation of the Dark Horse/Image comic book, Bulletproof Monk. Both have deleted scenes with commentary.

The only new CDs that are noteworthy and the ones I spotted were a DVD/CD of Kiss 's Orchestra tour and the first of the Britney Spears cattle call of uninspiring imitiators, Hilary Duff- some teenage tart that made a movie stupid enough to be released opposite X-2 called the Lizzy McQuire Movie. Not much of a Kiss fan. Something I grew out when I was a teenager and turned my attention to true musical virtuosoes such as those involved with Yes, Genesis, & ELP. The tradition continues in current relatively unknown bands such as Spock's Beard, Marillion, the Flower Kings, and Porcupine Tree. Radiohead is the only hip band (those who records hit the top ten charts) I'm willing to listen to. At 39, everyone expects you to whip out the Tony Bennett records to save yourself from massive dose of hearing loss. I still feel the vitality to venture on, sonic wise.


The new TV fall season is just days away with the much anticipated 3rd season premiere of Enterprise (actually it's tomorrow night) and the not so eagerily anticipated debut of Jake 2.0. You think by hearing a title like that- it would be a Saturday Night Live skit parodying someone's penis size. I tried to pitch the major studios the idea of Cary 1.5 as a remake of Herman's Head with the exception that it would be two major heads who think alike- well, I guess the networks dropped the drawers on that one.


On my book shelf, waiting to be read is the long mostly anticipated comic book grudge match of the decade, or maybe it was concieved way back in the eighties- but it's finally here- the first issue of JLA meets the Avengers by Kurt Busiek and George Perez. Haven't read it yet, but I can't stop comparing it to the equivilent of walking into a record store and seeing a new Boston album. I mean, those baby boomers who were salivating over this one when it was first announced all those many years ago have probably been married and divorced three times and selling their children's excrement over E-bay thinking they never would see the day when this would happen. I'll probably make time tomorrow night to read my copy while I'm taping Enterprise. Another notable archive collection from DC has come out chronicles the Batman when Neal Adams took over the character in the late sixties. Exquisite. A lot of the inking has been redone and digitalized. A lot of the material covers a lot of the Brave and the Bold team-ups and World's Finest. Well worth it's weight, however I wish the price was ten dollars lower than it's suggested retail of $ 49.95.

On the Deposit Man front, Oliver came by last night and picked up the cover to scan digitally into the computer so when we apply the logo in which Alan Sinder is supposed to supply me. The cover is a magnificent watercolor provided by my new inker Mas. So my duty sometime this week is to provide the text features such as the Page 30 essay, the credits and indicia and arrange some ads to go on the back cover. (I'm gunning for Clive Nolan, a keyboard player to UK area progressive rock bands such as Arena & Pendragon, who incidently has a cameo appearance in the first ten pages to provide me with an advert of the Arena's new DVD, Caught in the Act) On top of that, I have to arrange a printing qoute from Brenner Printing sometime before this month is over.

Okay, I'm experimenting - I want to personally chronicle what is going down on the movie lot with the Constantine project. For those not in the know, Constantine is based on a Vertigo Comic Book series called Hellblazer- it's lead character, John Constantine is a sort of a unwitting British sorcerer who stumbles and fumbles his way through dire supernatural situations. He's not one of those guys who waves his palm like a magician and make things magically disappear. He sort of complicates his way through circumstances beyond his control and screw things up or is in it for personal gain and is not beyond the concept of betraying a few friends along the way. He was first introduced as a homage to the rock star Sting in the pages of Swamp Thing- but with Keanu Reeves in the title role sort of diminishes the authenicity of his true comic book roots and is now 'Americanized' by these script doctors who probably never picked up a comic book in their entire life. Hellblazer was also known as a comic book that really cuts the eyeteeth of many 'idolized' British comic book writers currently famous today such as Neil Gaiman, Jamie Deleando, and Warren Ellis. So I scurried every square inch of the lot today- and I happened to stumble across the make up trailer and few of the actors' trailer. Didn't spot either the stars Rachel Weiez or Keanu. In the make up trailer there were people inside hanging pictures of some monstrous make up precedures that looks like it just came fresh off the mold . It seems as if they're going to do this in layers to whoever is playing this demon looking guy in various stages of transformations. It seems the production has moved to the biggest stage on the lot from I was originally led to believe.

Thursday I shall return with more musings from my constant infernal snooping. I will be seeing Matchstick Men with Nicolas Cage on Thursday night and I will report back on whether it's good or should be rolled up in a bowl of excrement and served piping hot to those on the Skate Jesus forum.

~

Coat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home